Truecaller reveals top 20 spammed call countries of 2018
Spammed calls are really annoying, imagine expecting a call from a friend and then your network provider begins to bombard your device with calls.
Truecaller came with the perfect solution for this, you can easily block these calls.
Reports from the caller App has revealed that spammed calls increased by over 300 percent across the world.
In 2018 alone, we have helped our users block and identify 17.7 billion spam calls – and we’ve helped identify 74.1 billion calls in general for our users! This means that close to every fourth call that our users receive are spam calls.
Here is a further breakdown of the stats:
- Although our Indian users are highly affected by spam calls there’s been a marginal decrease of spam calls in the market (1.5%.)
- An interesting trend is that USA has dropped from the 2nd highest country affected by spam calls to the 8th – compared to last year. Despite the decrease of spam calls, the U.S. is still heavily affected by phone scams. 1 in every 10 American adults (10%) lost money from a phone scam in the past 12 months. With an average loss of $357 per victim, the result of these scams is projected to have cost 24.9 million Americans approximately $8.9 billion in total losses.
- New markets to enter the list: Spain, Canada, Costa Rica, Poland, Dominican Republic, and Israel.
- There’s been a big increase of spam calls in European markets like Spain (100%), Greece (54.1%) and Italy (22.7%.) However, Turkey has seen a decrease of spam calls (18%.)
- Compared to last year fewer African markets are in the Top 20 list: Kenya, Morocco, Egypt, and Nigeria. South Africa is the only country in the list – as a matter of fact the amount of spam calls has increased from 15 to 21 spam calls/months – that is a 40% increase!
- Biggest trend: a lot of Latin American countries has entered the top spam list, and these countries are seeing the biggest increase of spam calls. Costa Rica being the country that has seen the highest increase in terms of percentage (330%.)