National Assembly Drama: 15 Senators, 37 Reps Dump APC
If recent events in the National Assembly are anything to go by, then the postulations for 2019 may just have been altered.
Uncertainty enveloped the air around the National Assembly as certain senators arrived for Tuesday’s plenary unusually early.
Reports had just filtered in that the Senate president’s motorcade had been blocked from leaving his residence on account of the IGP’s summon to answer questions on allegations surrounding the Offa robbery that claimed no fewer than 30 lives.
About the same time, it was being reported that the Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu had been barricaded in his house by combined operatives of the Department of State Security and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.
He had also been issued an invitation by the EFCC to immediately appear for questioning on an ongoing investigation.
The Senate President Bukola Saraki however showed up in the National Assembly Chambers on time to preside over plenary where he announced the defection of 15 Senators from the All Progressive Congress.
A chain reaction naturally followed in the Green Chambers and 37 Reps members announced their defection from the All Progressive Congress.
More to come…
LIST OF DEFECTING SENATORS
Following the official announcement of mass defection from the APC on Tuesday July 24, we provide you with a list of the defecting Senators and the constituencies they represent as announced by the Senate President in plenary. They include;
- Senator Lanre Tejouso representing Ogun Central Federal Constituency
- Senator Shaaba Lafiagi representing Kwara North Federal Constituency
- Senator Barnabas Gemade representing Benue North-east Federal constituency
- Senator Dino Melaye representing Benue Kogi west Federal constituency
- Senator Rafiu Ibrahim representing Kwara South Federal constituency
- Senator Shittu Ubali representing Jigawa North-East Federal constituency
- Senator Isa Misau representing Bauchi Central Federal constituency
- Senator Suleiman Hunkuyi representing Kaduna North Federal constituency
- Senator Monsurat Summonu representing Oyo Central Federal constituency
- Senator Abdullahi Danbaba representing Sokoto South Federal constituency
- Senator Bayero Nafada representing Gombe North Federal constituency
- Senator Suleiman Nazif representing Bauchi North Federal constituency
- Senator Rabiu Kwankwaso representing Kano Central Federal constituency
- Senator Abdul-Azeez Murtala Nyako representing Adamawa central Federal constituency
Senator Soji Akanbi, erroneously included in the Senate list of Defectors, has clarified his position stating that he remains in the APC while Senator Monsurat Summonu reportedly decamped to the African Democratic Congress (ADC).
https://www.facebook.com/NgrSenate/videos/1798092293579438/ – Video link of Senate Sitting